Isadora Duncan Dance Awards
Updated July 12, 2011
Number of Members
Term of Tenure
Election of New Members
Composition of Committee
Responsibilities of Members
Structure of Committee
Complimentary Ticket Policy
1. NUMBER OF MEMBERS: The Awards Committee will have no fewer than fifteen members and no more than twenty- five, with the goal of starting each seasonal year with twenty members.
2. TERM OF TENURE: Each member is elected to serve a three-year term, followed by up to three one-year renewable terms. Working artists may elect to serve a one-year term instead of a three-year term. The total consecutive years served on the Committee may not exceed six years. Following the maximum term of six years, a member must step down from the Committee for at least one year before becoming eligible for re-election.
3. ELECTION OF NEW MEMBERS: Nominations are solicited from the entire Bay Area dance community. They are then considered and recommended by the Committee’s Membership Subcommittee and voted upon by the entire Committee.
4. COMPOSITION OF COMMITTEE: The Committee sincerely attempts not only to represent the Bay Area’s geographic breadth in its composition but also the Bay Area’s cultural and ethnic diversity.
5. MEETINGS: The Committee meets thirteen times a year, including a weekend Annual Voting Meeting and a voting wrap-up meeting. A quorum for the monthly meetings is five members; for the Annual Voting Meeting, two-thirds of the Committee constitutes a quorum. Discussion at all meetings must be kept strictly confidential.
6. ATTENDANCE POLICY: If a Committee member misses a total of five meetings that member will be considered unable to fulfill Committee responsibilities and will be asked to step down from the Committee. If a Committee member misses three meetings, the Chair of the Committee will send the member a note reminding them of the Attendance Policy.
7. RESPONSIBILITIES OF MEMBERS: Committee members should have a passionate interest in dance; a desire to see it flourish; a wide-ranging vision; and a curiosity about dance outside their immediate specialty. The Committee is particularly concerned that the full spectrum of Bay Area dance be recognized and reviewed. To honor this obligation members are required to attend a minimum of twenty eligible dance performances each seasonal year. It is imperative that members respect the confidentiality of all discussions as well as all decisions made during their tenure on the Committee. Official information is released only through the Committee’s own announcements, press releases, and the In Dance Calendar.
8. STRUCTURE OF COMMITTEE: At the monthly meeting prior to the Annual Voting Meeting, the Committee elects a Chairperson (or Chairpersons) for a one-year renewable term. At the October meeting, a Secretary, a Website Administrator and the following subcommittees are appointed: Fundraising; Production; Governance and Finance; Membership; Awards Nominations; and Publicity. If needed, a Sergeant-at -Arms may be appointed by the Chair on a monthly basis.
9. COMPLIMENTARY TICKET POLICY: The primary source for information about local dance performances and activities is Dancers’ Group’s In Dance Calendar. The Chair of the Izzies Nominations Subcommittee manages the Committee’s subscription to In Dance and will regularly forward announcements of events to the full Committee by email. For an individual subscription to In Dance contact Dancers’ Group at www.dancersgroup.org Artists and their managers are encouraged to list events in this publication and not to solicit Committee members directly. The In Dance Calendar is also usually a good resource for phone numbers to call for complimentary tickets. To request complimentary tickets, Committee members should call an organization directly, identify themselves as members of the Isadora Duncan Dance Awards Committee and request one ticket per concert. Two tickets may be requested on a space-available basis. Unusable complimentary tickets are only transferrable to active Committee members. If a Committee member cannot use the ticket it must be released back to the organization for sale as early as possible (ideally, at least a day in advance). When requesting a ticket it is good practice to ask for a phone number to call should an emergency require that a ticket be released at the last minute.
Note that San Francisco Ballet and the San Francisco Ethnic Dance Festival have established special comp procedures for the Izzies Committee. Do not contact these organizations before getting full instructions. Keep in mind that while artists and dance organizations usually make every effort to accommodate members of the Izzies Committee, they are under no obligation to do so. Accept all decisions gracefully.